Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No More Excuses

This Saturday, August 13th, will mark my eleventh year living in Colorado. For eleven years I have gazed up at Mt. Sneffels. At 14156 ft elevation it is the tallest and most prominent mountain in the San Juan Mountain Range.



Sneffels to me, no matter how ridiculous the name, has always been the symbol of Western Colorado. And way back in my earlier years, before Josh and I had kids, back when we drove around on a yellow crotch rocket with matching helmets, I had the most amazing picture of Mt. Sneffels that Josh's friend had shot, tattooed on my back. It feels like a lifetime ago and I am indeed a completely different person now, but I have never regretted my tattoo choice. I love where I live and Sneffels is the perfect picture of that.

The only thing I did regret was never being able for one reason or another to climb to the top of this grand peek. I had to work the first time Josh climbed it, and I said I'll go next year. The next year I got pregnant and the idea of climbing Sneffels drifted away.

I decide 12 hours before getting up and leaving for the trail head that I would climb. I silenced my own voices that said, "I am under prepared and incapable" or "I am not really feeling up to it". No excuses

We left at 6:30 am for the trail head and the drive up was perfect.



We climbed up the South Ridge of Mt Sneffles. We followed the trail to Blue Lakes Pass than went right and spent the next two hours climbing and climbing.







As always pictures do not do it justice and the camara never came out when our route got really intense.

The way up there were times I felt so strong, and there were times that I felt to exposed on the rock and there were a lot of times I felt nothing but the adrenalin. Amazing feeling it was.



Summit!!!







The we climbed down the Southeast Couloir, which is the standard and more common route to get both up and down Sneffels.







Finally!!!



1 comment: