Sunday, April 17, 2011

Junk Part 1 - Flowers Part 2

The first thing I did with my Pile-O-Junk was work with the little polka-dot piece.



I bought it for 10 cents from a woman who said it was a head piece for her daughters dance recital forty years ago. I love when you can reuse things that have a story.



What did I do with it? I did the obvious, glued a pin on it and used it to embellish a cheap t-shirt.





EASY and CHEAP little joy!

Making this flower would have been a very easy thing but I would have never been able to buy the materials for 10 cents. However, I was able to make another one with a piece of felt and yellow blanket binding (that I have no clue why I own) just for fun.



I cut out the size that I wanted my flower to be.



I started on the outer edge to the felt circle and stitched the blanket binding around the edge and every so ofter pleated the binding so that it would lay flat on the felt.



I continued to stitch and pleat spiraling into the center of the circle.



Once I got to the center the flower was to thick for my needle so I just glued the last little bit down. Most of the time this would be when I would stick on a little finishing piece like a button or a bead, but this time I decided not to.



Finally I completed this by gluing another circle of fabric on the back to strengthen it up and hide my awful stitch work.




And Finished!!



I must really have a thing for black and white polka-dots this week.

2 comments:

  1. nicely done. Keep up the good work and I'm hoping your vision for things will rub off on me!! Wanna yard sale together on Sat??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the Fabric Flower queen! And you found your ornate bronze frames you've wanted...sounds like a successful flea market to me :)

    ReplyDelete