Friday, March 11, 2011

Processing Five

I am still learning how to say "I have a five year old". It is not an easy thing for me to say. I always start out saying four, which turns into a chattering jaw and a slight stutter into the word five, kinda like "Fou-I-Ive". Turning five is huge! Turning five sends us into the big girl section of the department stores and soon into Kindergarten registration. Not to mention I had the words from my past Childhood Development and Psychology courses pressuring me for the last five years. What if Freud was right and adult personality is dependent upon early childhood experiences and largely determined by age five? These first five years may have been the most important years of her life and my time as a parent. Such pressure.

Our first week of being 5 was awful! The attitude and the drama seemed to be multiplied by five. Everything seemed to be a fight and I longed for my four year old back. Than I realized that maybe my struggle wasn't that she had turned five, but that four was over. Four had been fabulous and there was so much that happened at four. She started skiing, she started reading, she started basic math, she learned how to ride a two wheeler and so much more. Maybe it wasn't her that had the attitude, but maybe it was me. As wonderful as four was, I'm exhausted!! It was a full and amazing year and I am tired and this new jump to five had left me overly sensitive. Hannah will never be four again, but this will be the only time she will be five and I am going to enjoy it, even if it means she takes the lead on more. I pushed and encouraged our way through all the wonderful things she learned at four and now I am going stand behind her and watch as she grows in those things.

Even if Freud was right and Hannah's personality is largely determined by age five. She is independent, dramatic, stubborn, smart, fearless, caring and willing to try anything and I am so in love with her and this job that God has given me to be her mother.

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweetie....this made me tear up! This is how Mikayla's age two has been for me! If Freud is right, then don't you worry-because you and Josh have raised a simply wonderful little girl so far! She is everything that you listed and she is HERSELF! You created an environment for her to thrive in her uniqueness, in her own positivity and in her best intentioned heart! Hannah is truly a fabulous child...

    I have learned that saying goodbye to a year is so absolutely difficult in mommy world...but you are right, you have to let them show you all the great things you have taught them. Even if that means head butting now and again...it also means laughter, amazement and moments of sheer awe when you discover that you have made an influence on another human beings life! Take heart in knowing that you are doing an amazing mommy job!

    Can't wait to see you and the girls soon and give you a big hug! Kiss on those babies for me....

    ReplyDelete